Boolit Master

The Last Battle, A Dog's Request

The Last Battle, A Dog's Request

If it should be that I grow weak,

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then you must do what must be done,

For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand;

Don't let your grief then stay your hand.

For this day more than all the rest,

Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years -

What is to come can hold no fears.

You'd not want me to suffer so;

The time has come, so let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend

And please stay with me until the end.

Hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
    The kindness that you did for me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve - it must be you

Who had this painful thing to do.

We've been so close, we two, these years -

Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

I received this on the loss of a great Lab on Christmas a few years ago. I don't know who wrote it but as several people have lost their dogs here I hope it helps

OMG, this brought me to tears. We've had to have two sick Beagles put down, by a service that comes to your home. I've held both girls as they slipped away.

Now I have a 3rd Beagle, I say "I" because he's MY dog, we've bonded tightly. Adopted him at 8, he's 10 now. Healthy, but his time is limited. I love him so much, this exit is REALLY gonna hurt.....I hope it doesn't come for many, many years.....

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks. It will kill me when my puppy "Ruger" (in my avatar) goes. He will be five next month. Best and smartest dog I have ever known. Great friend during the divorce. I have been truly blessed.

I've got one who's 8 and who is starting to show his age. I know I have this to look forward to. And I am dreading the day.

Thank you OP for posting. That is about as well written as a man could ask for.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy

I had an old dawg and name wuz Blue……had an old dog and his name was Blue…..
    Betcha five dollars he was good’er two…….. Heah….Blue……

That's a fantastic Ode to a Dear Friend for sure
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Master

Wow! That says it all. Eyes getting moist here too.

Boolit Master
    Bless you for posting that but I can not handle it, I am too invested in my dearly departed dogs.

I am a rancher. I have had cattle dogs all of my adult and post education life. I have enjoyed the work and companionship of six stock dogs over a span of the past 43 years.

Each and everyone of them touched me in profound ways and I miss the daylights of every single one even though there are several years gone by since we had to part company with some of them.

Your post hit me like a ton of bricks, not in a bad way but I am out of dogs right now and this thread reminded me how much I miss them and how much I need to get my next dog soon, very soon!

Thank you

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy

Thank you!

Now I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. My current buddy is laying with her head in my lap. I've been through the heartbreak four times, one time without professional help. And no, I haven't gotten any better at handling the task.

Thanks for a very sweet poem, and ---
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Sorry I couldn't finish your beautiful poem. I lost my rat terrier of 14 years in December and 1 of my 2 bichons ( litter mates) we got them just weaned right after we adopted our terrier was diagnosed with kidney failure this afternoon. God blesses us with these wonderful things and it sure does hurt when he calls them home.
    Last edited by 1Hawkeye; 04-25-2022 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Tears caused spelling errors

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm cat guy, but it is so true of cats 's too.

Got dusty in here all of a sudden...

Boolit Master
    Had to have our 10 year old pit bull terrier put to sleep. Had cancer and was loosing control of his rear legs. This was two year back and still miss him. Wife doesn't want another dog as she and him bonded extremely well. Had our daughters pure bred German shepard sheds like crazy. Still finding little hair balls. Thanks for the poem. Frank

Boolit Master

My wife had a Border Collie that was a close companion for about 15 years, he had one bad habit of chasing cars. One day he stopped the neighbor as he was driving by, wouldn't let him go until the wife pulled out of the driveway even though she yelled at him to get out of the road. Another time a stranger pulled up to the chicken house as she was tending to the chickens. As the guy walked up, Curly sat down on her toes and kept a sharp eye on the guy. He stopped and asked if "that dog bites? Wife said "I'd like to think he would if needed." The guy got back in his truck and left. 25 years later, she still misses that dog.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Thank you warren for the poem. Seems it’s touched a lot of members here who all love their dogs and cats.
    We have 2 girls, a 4yr old Australian Shepherd and a 13 yr old golden retriever. We got the Ausi because our 9 yr old retriever was starting to mope around, real slow and figured it was her time coming. The pup brought new life to her and and they play together and old Goldie has taught her well. Now, 4 yrs later hip displacer is getting the best of her and getting up has become a struggle.
    My wife and I agree when it’s to much and she starts to hurt, we will not let her suffer.
    Not only will we be at a loss, but Ginger, the ausi will sure miss her momma, mentor, best friend and doggy playmate.
    We will just have to spoil her more !

I’m done crying on my ipad

Boolit Grand Master

Reading that brought tears to my eyes. And memories of good Dogs gone.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Sorry I couldn't finish your beautiful poem. I lost my rat terrier of 14 years in December and 1 of my 2 bichons ( litter mates) we got them just weaned right after we adopted our terrier was diagnosed with kidney failure this afternoon. God blesses us with these wonderful things and it sure does hurt when he calls them home.
    My smallest rat was diagnosed with severe kidney failure. Vet had never seen blood levels as high before. Vet had local pharmacy compound a daily med, Ursodiol 50mg/ml in a chicken flavored solution, 5 pound girl gets 1ml a day, along with a over the counter denamarin pill I get from pet supply, and she had a steroid for 30 days. Went from not eating, lethargic and almost dead to fat and happy in a month. Been about 80 days and she seems fine. I had to put down her brother last year as vet didn't diagnose quick enough. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk